The Reserve (sometimes called the Foundry Lofts) is an interesting project in that it combines historic rehab with urban infill on essentially the same site. The property was purchased by Clachan Properties as a warehouse and vacant lot at the corner of 25th Street and E. Franklin across from the Pohlig Brothers Box building. The Johannas Design Group acted as lead architect and MGT Construction was the GC.
The warehouse portion of the project was converted to 9 upscale lofts in the expected ‘brick and beam’ motif that fits well within the ‘turn of the century warehouse’ stock that Richmond has in eastern portions of the City. The units were large and nicely appointed with larger kitchens, bedrooms and baths.
The 16 units of new construction adopted a more modern aesthetic and used materials and design elements to enhance the modern feel. The two curved roof lines are visible from 25th and provide a contrast to the circa 1900’s warehouses that surround the site. The units themselves all have outdoor space and indoor parking.
Overall, The Reserve offers the buyer a very walkable location, an upscale level of finishes and very livable interiors. While many condos appeal to the buyer making the intermediate from apartment to home, The Reserve’s level of finish and overall unit size appeal to a more mature buyer that understands design.